Before I list my own, more specific, problems w/ Loeb …the Basics of why Loeb sucks:
-His books are often mired in delays. (some of epic scale)
-Like most rock star writers, he ignores and ham fists continuity and characterization to fit the needs of his stories.
-He is mostly only passable with street level themes like Batman or DD. He seems to want to “hoke down” comic books and make them overly dark, raunchy or vulgar, most likely to gain respect with the “masses.”
-He largely has masked his deficiencies as a writer with uber talented artists.
-He also masks his poor writing with extended action sequences and decompression.
-His dialogue often breaks down into movie-esque wannabe one liners.
-He loves to use shock scenes to generate buzz, IE deaths, kill offs, gore and uncomfortable themes.
-His plots are largely predicable and feel like they’ve been ripped from 80s movies like Last Starfighter or Lethal Weapon.
Now for my own personal reasons, keep in mind I’m a Marvel guy…so this is largely all Marvel talk:
- Legacy of derailing and destroying epic runs. (Leaving stuff in a worse place than he found it)
- He came in and eviscerated the Ultimates and the Ultimate line after the ‘all time high’: of Mark Millar.
- He derailed the Hulk after Pak’s legendary Planet Hulk Truthfully, Hulk has never recovered and has been a tough sell ever since. I mean Red Hulk? A-Bomb?
- He put Richard Rider in the dumpster for the sake of his Sam Alexander Nova. The book’s sales are well below Rider’s in the long term and many fans of the old Nova vehemently reject the new material.
- He is known to have orchestrated the collapse of Marvel cosmic following DnA/Giffen era.
- Let’s not underscore his gaff with Ultimate line.
- Ultimates 3 was largely underwhelming and oft delayed. Fans really got frustrated with it. Not to mention, as per usual Loeb, none of the characters really acted like Millar and others had established. Everything intrinsic to the Ultimates universe, IE a sense of “quasi realism” seemed thrown out the door for some vaudeville esque romp. To top it off, he really amped up weirdness between the Scarlet Witch and Pietro for its own, shock schlock sake.
- Ultimatum, however was one of the worst comic series in Marvel Comics history. In fact, I’d squarely put it at the single worst series ever.
- It contained such epic debauched highpoints as :
Yes…women in fridges, cheesy movie inspired one liners and totally forcing characters to act how he wants them….that’s Jeph Loeb.
- We can’t escape the “ultimate” reality: the Ultimate Universe (which was a sales juggernaut w/ books routinely in the top 25) never recovered sales-wise from this monumentally bad event. Marvel slow burned out Miles Morales, stuff like Hunger and a somewhat decent but abbreviated Hickman Ultimates run, but the viability of the line was largely shot. Ultimatum destroyed everything the Ultimate line was supposed to be.
- Nova (In name only)
- While DnA “technically” killed off Richard Rider following Thanos Imperitive, (Frankly, it was more of a draw your own conclusion fade away) Loeb is generally seen as the guy who put the nails in his very resurrectable coffin. (then pretended he didnt exist) He derailed a character…made commitments to keep him in the dumpster. Worse, his cohort of “creators” and “editors” behind the book went on a smear campaign aimed at the old Nova fans and specifically set about to assassinate the legacy of Richard Rider. He did this all for a generic retelling of any 80s teen space “coming of age” flick and arrogantly left the book after only five issues and one single decompressed arc (it was really like 3 issues).
- My guess is he also did this to prop up a character for a movie or Netflix series and keep Wolfman’s beloved version in the gutter. The movie aspirations were palatable.
- After only a few issues, Nova sold worse than Richard Rider’s books .This despite being shoved down everyone’s throats like no other character in Marvel history. Cartoons, TV, Avengers, New Warriors, dozens of issues under the cancellation range. He’s made a camp outside the top 100, a place Rich Rider Nova drifted only once.
- Some 40 issues of material, none of the new Nova “Lore” makes a lick of sense within Marvel 616 continuity. A prolonged quest for a “dad” figure who looks exactly like Rider (yet is not), clones, a revolving cast of “unsupported” supporting characters, and, of course, constant cameos and event tie ins. Still, the character is an irresponsible, hokey zany kids type-hero (While the series often features decapitations, dismemberments and Loeb-esque gore).
- All of this for five issues of Loeb. (keep in mind he also lied and said he would be back in a few arcs its largely beleiveditsggan was working with many of Loeb’s 2 years of scripts)
Clearly, as a huge Richard Rider fan I am biased here. Loeb destroyed my favorite character and his legacy.
- Marvel TV
– I tried to watch Daredevil….just couldn’t get through it. It’s not bad, but largely, IMO pretentious and sure thinks it is a lot cooler than it is. Personally, I think Daredevil is pretty easy to make decent.
– used a different New Warriors team in his USM while Yost was trying to sell a New Warriors book. Thanks Loeb…
– I can’t sit through one minute of the dialogue in ANY of those cartoons. My kids hate them.
– propped up his largely unpopular multiple Hulks notion.
This just may be the single worst thing I’ve watched in my life. Let me tune in blindly next week to see if it gets better!
– The first season of SHIELD was atrocious. Epic bad. Sorry, I’m too busy to just plop myself down for multiple years waiting for something to get good.
– Heroes sucks. Heroes reborn sucks too. (Superhereoes “realistic”d up to seem less dumb for the massess)
– Big Hero Six, (was good) yet again seeing Jeph Loeb’s name in the credits just as big as the creator Chris Clermont is really horrifying.
Tell me , how does this:
Go to this???:
WTF? How is this “embracing the source material?”
- It highly annoys me a guy who has destroyed and uncreated so much proud Marvel stuff gets to sit as such a high ranking Marvel exec with so much sway. Meanwhile other, much more deserving guys are lost in the sauce.
Jeph Loeb stinks
Long Live Richard Rider